Count

8/13/2008

Olympic-mania!

Well well well... I'd say there were four moments in my life where I remember watching non-stop TV coverage of an event: the June 4th incident at Tiananmen Square, the 911 attach on WTC, the 512 earthquake in China, and then the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Great blog post from Salgar, by the way. Bob Costas, I don't know if it's you, but it certainly sounds like you. You suck.

Interesting input from the Freakonomics blog on the gold medal situation. (Shame on the slight on Chinese and their anti-doping tactics... how about looking in the mirror and inspect American sprinters?) Go China!

On to the mania:
  • I'm not ashamed to admit that I watched the Cycling roadrace. Do you know what a pelaton is? (Also, I don't want to see another slow-mo cycle crash.)
  • Congrats to the Chinese lady who won gold in women's air pistol. But what about the Russian and Georgian runner-ups? Stop war!
  • You could really be injured in badminton...
  • Michael Phelps cannot be stopped... 5 races, 5 gold, 5 world records
  • Speaking of world records, have you read about the technology doping? Apparently the pool is deeper and the lanes are wider to reduce water drag... and of course the now famous "shark swim suit"...
  • Whoa, the Chinese men's basketball team is leading the Dream Team for half the first quarter... they were happy to lose by 31.
  • Diving is fun... cus I feel like I can be judge
  • Are those gymnasts 18 or 12? I can't tell...
  • My colleague, upon walking into the cafeteria playing a weightlifting competition: which country is that guy from? Me respond: I think this is a women's event... Colleague: Oh......

1 comment:

Justin said...

Typical Americans: thinking bigger muscles means more wins. Steroids are so last decade. Look at China, they know what's up. They know how to make their athletes age 3 years in 6 months. Oh, and they have the passport(s) to prove it too!