Count

9/15/2006

Back in Chitown...

It feels good to be back home... ops, did I say home!?

Anyway, my first night back was already greeted by Bain returnees. They're hosting a dinner for all the Chicago Bainees. And tonight? Same thing of course. Bain returnees plus potential GSB Bainees (I think - there are so many Bain events I'm forgeting which one is which... all have free food though, so they do know my weakness).

Meanwhile, I've received several emails (uh... okay, the big 3 + Booz) about various consulting companies as well as a couple of phone calls on whether I'm still interested in management consulting. Reality checks in quick!

I finished the book Guns Germs and Steel. Shmoo mentioned that it was repetitive. He was right. Still a pretty good book that I would recommend though. The premise is noble -history, on a grand level, is basically science - but a bit too aggressive. To establish a theory that would explain all of human history would surely invite criticisms in form of exceptions. As I read the book, I nodded in my mind and I kept thinking of exceptions to the author's rule. And I could find many. This of course does not dilute his theory of how the current world is shaped. What I would be most interested in finding out is whether the theory is still relevant for the future.

Started "The End of Poverty" by Jeff Sachs. The book quickly refers to Guns Germs and Steel. So far so good. Sachs thinks we can end poverty (i.e. where people cannot survive on their own income) by 2025. Good luck.

No comments: