Count

8/31/2007

Finally, Yellow Food

So far:

Shanghai food at 小南國 was decent. It didn't live up to the hype though. The 黃花魚 was deep friend and the meat came off the bone real easy. Unfortunately, that was the only highlight. But hey, I got my Chinese food fix. That was important.

Regular dim sum. Just want to say that I had the best dim sum all year.

Spicy Crab... 橋底辣蟹 at 喜記. I went there with RM because she was in town for business. She likes crabs. It was expensive ($50 per!) but extremely yummy. The crabs were stir-fried with a secret spicy sauce that definitely consisted of garlic, chinese soy sauce (not just regular soy sauce), some sort of pepper, and other stuff. The spicy calamari was also very good - just enough spicy to keep eating it.

Lan Fong Yuen (蘭芳園) is a famous Hong Kong style tea restaurant. In my opinion, they make the best milk tea in Hong Kong, though some complain it is too sweet. They make ice with milk tea too, so when the ice melts, the flavor doesn't become diluted. I had a pork bun which is infinitely better than the burgers at In&Out. Okay, maybe not infinitely better. But still better. Their dessert French toast is also to die for, with lotus paste inside instead of butter or honey. And the best part: $4 for all of the above.

Long Wah (龍華) has the best BBQ pork rice (叉燒飯) in town. I asked for half fatty half lean meat - the fatty ones were of course better. But you have to have both to get a true taste of the dish. The place is a bit noisy... but at $3, you can't ask for more.

I also had cold sesame paste (芝麻糊) with hot sesame paste wrapped in dough (芝麻湯圓) at a dessert place. I forgot the name. But that was a good fix too, at $2. I should go back there, since the walnut paste smelled very good as well.

Yum yum. My only regret is that I haven't brought my camera out at all.

2 comments:

shmoo said...

My computer... still doesn't have SAS.

hedonist said...

I think I am watching...Super Size Me - Oriental Pearl Edition. Welcome back!